Back in May of 2007, the lovely Martha tagged me with the random 7 meme. And shortly after Patricia tagged me for another meme and then Jenny for another. And here we are in March of 2009 and I am finally getting around to it. Ha! Actually in my defense I started writing it back in May of 2007 and I just never finished it. Although I have been writing in my online journal for almost four years now I find it a little difficult to do these memes [I know, this makes no sense at all]. Which is why I usually flake out when it comes to memes or online interviews and that sort of thing [although I'm making improvements in this department--case in point, my recent daily for Design for Mankind].
Speaking of interviews, there is a nifty article in the latest Mothering magazine about "Crafty Mamas" and I was one of the five mothers interviewed for the article. Other crafty mamas include Amanda Blake Soule, Amy Karol, Eren San Pedro and Stephanie Congdon Barnes. I haven't received my copy yet but I did see a draft and I have to say Jean Van't Hul did a wonderful job writing the article and making my babbling sound nice and coherent. I think it will be available online shortly [and there is actually a photograph of me in there...although I admit I have a fake smile in the photograph only because by that point Appah had taken about 100 photographs of me and the boys and my cheeks were getting tired. The photographs on this post are some of the many outtakes from our photo shoot. Ha, even Baby J was getting tired!] [edited: You can find the article right here -- page 42.]
Anyhoo...on to the meme. I went with 17 random things instead of 7...just because.
1. I have a chunk of hair that is wavy, the rest is straight. This funky hair condition developed after giving birth to Baby J [thank you, postnatal hormones]. Baby J has a really curly patch in the same spot on his head. [edited: In the past two years it has actually straightened out quite a bit.]
2. Everyone in my family shares the same initials. Coincidence? Yes and no.
3. I don't like egg yolks. I've tried but can't get past the chalky taste.
4. I have selective memory. I can remember what someone was wearing when I first met them but I cannot for the life of me recall the storyline of a movie. I also have a terrible memory when it comes to remembering jokes, either I forget the joke itself and remember the punchline or vice versa. Even the jokes I've made up myself [oh yes, I used to make up my own jokes all the time]. On the other hand, Appah has a really good memory when it comes to movies and jokes.
5. I've always wanted to own and drive a motorcycle. Appah has nixed this idea many times. He sold his motorcycle before we started dating and given that I'm a bit clumsy, I know I'll never own one. But I like to dream. [edited: This is no longer my dream. After my little "accident" in Thailand I am now content with the idea of being a backseat driver!]
6. I have tiny handwriting. People usually comment that they think it is a font. I've also noticed my handwriting has gotten worse over the years and I'm trying to work on this.
7. I have never purchased anything from ebay.
8. I'm a compulsive light-switcher-offer and door-closer.
9. When my boys want their vitamins in the morning, I will often make them "shake their bootie". No reason, other than it makes me laugh that they'll dance on command.
10. I make up songs ALL the time. And no, I won't sing one for you. Never. Ever.
11. I don't like nicknames. My sister is the only person who can call me by a nickname. Period.
12. I just joined Facebook a few months ago. I resisted for so long and I still am not fond of it. I think the layout is unattractive and all the updated feeds drive me crazy.
13. My dream job would be to work as a contributor for Martha Stewart Kids. Yes, I know the magazine no longer exists, but I still dream that it will be revived one day.
14. I am violently ticklish. If you even attempt to tickle me I cannot be held responsible for the bodily harm I will inflict upon you. I may be petite, but I know how to punch [the perks of growing up with a big brother].
15. I can eat a lot. No one believes me until they see it for themselves.
16. I won't spend a lot of money on tops, but I invest in good quality jeans [except for the $12 pair of Forever 21 skinny jeans which I wear ALL the time].
17. I am easily embarassed. [On the other hand Appah never gets embarassed.] In fact when someone does something really ridiculous I get embarassed for them!
I'm not going to "tag" anyone, but if you tell me something about yourself I'll randomly select one [or two] people [on Friday the 13th] and send you something nifty from Korea.
P.S. For those who inquired, I bought the children's chopsticks here in Korea. You can also find them online here and here. Unfortunately they don't make "plain versions" but they are so convenient I lifted my ban on character based goods in our household.